Aging is loud, y'all.

 So, this past weekend I went bowling with my family that lives locally and out of town. I initially went to just hang out with them because, what, me bowling? Last time I did it seriously was in high school. League and everything. But nah, my aunt was cool enough to let me bowl her game. Let me tell you; my bowling coach of yesteryear would’ve had my head for me losing my form like that. Ah well. I did better when I listening to my own music. Still abysmal, but less gutter balls this time.

 

After all that, I ran around like the old me; not caring about whatever little ache or pain I usually have (joys of being chronically ill) and just lost myself in the joy of being with family. Drank Brugal, took shots of tequila and played cards like I was an actual adult – wait, I am. Ah well.

 

While reveling in the fact of my adulthood with family, I overlooked one major thing: the comedown when the aches and pains are multiplied.

 

On Sunday, the hubris of aging hit me full force. I experienced muscle pain that had me moving like a geriatric lady. It felt like someone ran me down while crossing a 4 way intersection when I had the light and the driver had the audacity to be mad at me. And threw a few unkind slurs into the bargain.


Fool that I was, I thought I could hop back into something like it was nothing. Silly silly me. Every tightened muscle and whimper of pain reminded me that although the brain may be spry, but the body remembers. Loudly. It doesn’t help when said bodily aches are accompanied with even louder reminders about the unstoppable juggernaut known as time.

 

Younger cousins. Yes, I know that we all get old, but there’s always that small part of your brain that freezes moments. That’s why it’s so difficult to process that a younger cousin you were once able to pick up and swing around can now give you a hug that can crack your back in at least 4 places. If nothing will humble you, that most assuredly will.

 

Also, finding out said cousins are now parents! That’s also wild to me because the first thing I think about is “how do y’all even know about that to even get to this point…” but again. It’s the mental imagery. And it’s also your now tinier cousins calling your name and calling you Auntie while demanding hugs. These are acceptable demands.


Time is a bastard. That much we can all agree on. Even with the aches and pains, there are good things where time passing is fine. Meeting new family, seeing things, learning more, and loving more. 


I can deal with this.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A true story about a ridiculous human

Night Therapist

No True Allies.