11 Questions to ask your characters (it was 21, but this is the back half)
Well, in keeping the promise to myself, I am continuing the writing exercises. Since the previous exercise was 21 questions, I split it up. So this here will be the back half and hopefully still in an interview format.
11. Have you ever hated someone enough to wish something terrible happened to them?
Janan: Good God, yes. I mean, take a look at me! I'm a Black femme bodied woman that has too smart of a mouth for their own good! People have tried to get over on me since kid age. But you said someone, referring to one specific person. There's a long list, but I don't want to go too dark on you...so I'll keep it simple. My 7th grade teacher, Mrs. Pasquale. She was dead set on drilling into my head that I'll never make good in anything that I'd do. Anything. Didn't matter that my grades were above average; I was always below average. Who does that to a kid? Seriously.
12. What's the worst thing you have ever done?
Janan: *laughs* I am a wetwork specialist, y'know. Everything I do is considered the worst thing I've ever done. I kill for money. But the people I usually kill have done far worse than I could ever do. Let's see...worst thing I've ever done. Well, worst to me. Not mending my relationship with Dad's side of the family still bugs me a bit. A misunderstanding involving Dad's moving around and someone disapproving of Mom? Everything went sideways from there.
13. What is your biggest regret?
Janan: You'd think it's part of the last question...but no. It's not being able to really talk with Dad anymore. After moving out, we fell out of touch. Between me traveling around the world and ridding the world of living skidmarks and him traveling for political reasons? You'd think we'd cross paths. We haven't yet...and after five or so years of silence, it wears on a person.
14. When were you the happiest?
Janan: Oof. Happiness. That's a tall order right there. Happiness..er..oh, I got a moment. Spending time with James and Alex as kids. Whenever either of our parents were away, we'd crash at the others houses. It'd be a sleepover every other weekend or so. I grew up as an only child and having them around made me feel like they were the brothers I never had. Well, I have them now, but that's not the point.
15. If you found a genie, what three things would you wish for?
Janan: I was wondering when you'd get to asking me something like that. Believe it or not, I've given a lot of thought to this!
First up: Everyone being paid a decent and comfortable wage so you don't work yourself to death.
Secondly: No more billionaires. Overtake their houses and turn it into affordable housing
Three: see if I can get magical powers somehow. That'd be fun.
16. Why are you attracted to the person you're currently pursuing?
Janan: Wait, you think I have time for dating while doing this job? First funny joke you've told today.
17. What do you indulge in when you feel stressed?
Janan: Usually a good chat with a friend or a few shots of Glenmorgan whiskey would help. Preferably both at the same time.
18. What kind of contest could you always win?
Janan: Wait...I have to ask here. With or without violence? With violence, I can spar with the best of them. Oh! Playing cards. Thanks to Grandma, I've won a bit of money having side bets for card games. It definitely helped me when I didn't have money for dinner in college.
19. What are you afraid of?
Janan: What, you want to know that too? You'll be asking me for my rank, serial number and social next! Eh, fuck it. I'll go with an occupational based fear: dying alone and abandoned. That's right up there with botching a mission and not being able to smooth it over with the proper authorities. All it'd take is some asshole not wanting to double check our story and take us in.
20. What do you want?
Janan: I'd want what most folks would want; peace of mind, relaxation, and less assholes in the world.
21. What do you need?
Janan: Need. What do I need? Right now, I need the biggest hug from people I have zero access to.
Comments
Post a Comment