"You're scared of WHAT?!"
"Hey. Wake up, kid. Come on...wake up."
Juni groaned and yawned mightily, perturbed about being disturbed. He looked around with sleep clouded eyes, unable to see who spoke to him.
Using the sleeves of his hoodie, he wiped his eyes and grousing all the while.
"Who's there?"
A statuesque woman stepped out from the shadows of Juni’s bedroom. He was obviously startled. Why would there be a woman in his room in the dead of night? Leaving that aside, why was she just chilling there like she owned the joint? Her hair cascaded in fiery red tresses, a gauzy red shawl draped about her shoulder and set off with a black off the shoulder dress.
Juni was torn between complimenting her outfit and screaming in abject horror about a stranger in his room. He opted to take the middle road; asking his way out of it.
“Are you real?”
She seemed stunned at the simple question, but didn’t want to show it.
“I don’t know; are you real?”
Juni immediately replied, “Wait. You’re in my apartment, specifically my bedroom. I’m not in the mood for a St. Thomas Aquinas style bant session. What I’m asking is this; are you an actual sentient being or is this a mirage due to a hedonistic lifestyle?”
There was a ghost of a smile hovering around her lips. She found an interesting one to be sure.
“No, I’m real. And there is a reason I’m here. You passed out at the party a few hours ago. And for some reason, you trusted me enough to take you home.”
She then produced his house keys, dangling them a foot away from his face. A few keys, two anime character charms and a boondoggle loop to connect them all. Yep. Those were his keys, alright.
Juni sat up in his bed, his blanket slipping off his form. Oh. Okay, there’s no shirt now. He went to rub his neck and encountered two scarred over marks that were a third of an inch from each other.
“The hell is this!? Do you know anything about this…er…what’s your name anyway?”
She sighed lightly and folded her arms.
“Juli.”
Juni made a face at this revelation. “Yes,” she groaned. “That is my name and I realize how close it is to yours. I didn’t choose it.”
“Alright Juli…do you know anything about this suspicious scar on my neck?”
Well, might as well jump him all the way in, she thought. She smiled slowly, revealing her teeth. Her bright white smile was eclipsed by the noticeably long canines culminating in a sharp looking point. Juni scoffed and pointed at a small, round container on his dresser.
"That's cute, honey. But I have Scarecrow fangs too. And they look a damn sight realer than yours."
Juli rolled her eyes. She didn't think he would be this dense, but desperate times. She took her thumb and ran it across one of her canines in a quick motion. A noticeable scar began to form while blood slowly came out.
Juni froze in place. Never mind the fact that some weird lady who could have easily been a runaway runway model is in his room; there was...blood now. The color drained from him and he began to shake slightly. She quickly licked the bleeding thumb and showed it to him. The gash was knitting itself closed right before his eyes.
She then folded her arms and shrugged her shoulders at him.
"You're listening now?"
The shock slightly wore off from Juni as he felt the color return to him; and evidently his voice decided to come back as well.
"The hell did you do that for?! Just deciding to..." he paused and shuddered. "Bleed in my room like that! Blood is in our bodies for a reason and it's supposed to stay there! At least around me because fuck that."
Juli was honestly in shock. Doing that in front of someone usually got people to pay attention and at least ask salient follow up questions. But nope. Just plain bullheadedness.
She raised an eyebrow and just got right to the matter. "So you didn't just see how I healed right back up after licking my thumb, huh? If you can't put two and two together, I'll spell it out for you. I'm a vampire. A genuine blood draining vampire; in your house, talking to you, and educating you because you clearly don't know the ball from the bounce."
Juni slipped a little further underneath the covers, letting the situation dawn on him a bit more.
"A vampire. In my apartment." He then chanced a look at the crucifix his grandmother was adamant about putting up in his place. Still there and not a thing was done to it. Gee, thanks.
Wait...everything was slowly coming together for him mentally. The party, how his drink hit him faster than he thought..
He recalled the woman standing in front of him as well. But, just to be crystal fucking clear...
"Yeah, uh...Juli? Did a fight happen at the party?"
Her face actually brightened up at his query. Finally, shit is getting cohesive.
"Yeah. A fight did happen. Some jackass decided to get into it with another guy. Something about sleeping with the others' partner or some such. One broke a bottle and tried to shiv him. Unfortunately, you stopped it." She touched the left side of her neck, suggesting that he should do the same.
Juni did and what he felt horrified him. He felt a crisscross of healed over skin, feeling the dips and lacerations that now are a part of him.
"So, I took you home and tried to take care of you. But..I think what I did might be up there with that roid head."
Juni hesitated, his heart sinking further into his stomach. It was one thing to find out he almost died. He could cope with that. But considering what he saw, he was doing his level best to not put two and two together.
"I drank from you, Juni. And I'm sorry. I am so so sorry. Not just for that, but when it came down to it..I don't think you would have survived that wound had I not---"
His temper flared and he spat out "OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE TELL ME!"
She took a deep breath and replied. "For all intents and purposes, you're dead. But alive at the same time. You're a vampire."
Juni covered his head with the blanket. Nope. Too much for him to take. Things make more sense underneath the blanket. Out there is bad fan fiction. Under here is...well...not that.
"I'm still here, Juni."
"I know you are, you're not making it easy for me to ignore you. But...just for the sake of argument...I am a vampire. I have to..."
"Yes. You have to drink blood."
"Nuh-uh. Just kill me now. Fuck that. I'm not drinking blood. Fuck that and fuck you."
Juli sighed yet again. Good thing it won’t be dawn for a while. This was going to take some getting used to on both sides.
Comments
Post a Comment